Here’s Outlook’s SMTP configuration :
1. Select “Account Settings…” from the “Tools” menu.
2. Select your email account (like “email@example.com”) and click on the “Change” button.
3. Insert server’s name (for SVP4U’sclients see provided instructions by email) in the “Outgoing mail server (SMTP)” field.
4. Click on the “More Settings…” button.
5. Select the “Outgoing Server” tab.
6. Check the “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication” box. Then select “Log on using”.
7. Enter your username (the email address from which you send out (like “firstname.lastname@example.org”) and your password.
8. Set the SMTP port to 465 in the “Outgoing server (SMTP)” tab.
Some incoming servers can reject emails coming from port 25 due to a large quantity of spam.
9. If the port 465 does not work with your internet provider, in case you can always switch to another.
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) is the standard protocol for sending emails across the Internet.
By default, the SMTP protocol works on three ports:
- Port 25 - this is the default SMTP non-encrypted port
- Port 2525 - this port is opened on all our servers in case port 25 is filtered (by your ISP for example) and you want to send non-encrypted emails with SMTP
- Port 465 - this is the port used if you want to send messages using SMTP securely
By default, the IMAP protocol works on two ports:
- Port 143 - this is the default IMAP non-encrypted port
- Port 993 - this is the port you need to use if you want to connect using IMAP securely